Monday 21 March 2011

The god I don't believe in

I believe in god but...
I don't believe in a god in the traditional sort of way. That's just a social construct.
I don't believe in a god who makes moral requirements on my life. It's my life why should he care!
I don't believe in a god who allows such terrible things to happen. If he's out there this stuff must be beyond him.
I don't believe in a god who cares about what I think of him. Surely he should be above that?
I don't believe in a god who sends people to hell. Hell? I mean come on!
I don't believe in a god who lets rapists get away with it. He should step in there!
I don't believe in a god who lets children be abused. He shouldn't stand for that.
I don't believe in a god who'll just forgive anyone for anything, no matter what they've done. Anyone can be sorry but it doesn't make it o.k.

It's easy to think of the things you don't want to believe and then turn them into a list of things you don't believe but at the end of it the question you have to answer is what do you have left to believe in?

If all we simply do is state all the things we don't believe in we run the risk of never actually battling with the issues in order to work out what we do believe. Beware you don't assume that stating what you don't believe and why is the same as being able to justify what you do believe!

P.S. The views stated at the start of this blog certainly do not all represent what I don't believe (it was a rhetorical tool)

No comments:

Post a Comment